Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Electric Star Beast Dol

This neat toy is from the 1982 tv show "Uchuu Keiji Gavan" (translated in English as Space Sheriff Gavan) and is probably a knock off. I got it at a local flea market while living in New Mexico, at the time I'm sure I had no idea what it was but that it was from Japan and a cool dragon. After some searching on Google I found out what this was, basically the show it's from is like Ultraman or Godzilla where people in silly uniforms fight monsters, which are really people in even sillier foam monster suits. These movies were great fun to watch as a kid!
This toy was played with quite a bit and it shows, but it has held up well. The transformation here is simple, just pull apart the mid section of the body and flip out the head and tail sections. Then you slide the body back together, the end of the tail pokes out of the bottom front of the ship.

The construction is diecast, plastic and a rubbery plastic (for the dragon neck, tail, etc.) and the paint has a nice metallic fleck in it. The chrome parts are all in great shape, the stickers are showing the most wear and some are missing. This is one of those weird toys that doesn't fit in with my collection as well as most, but then having it really makes things more interesting. I have on more than one occasion thought about throwing it away, but I'm so glad I didn't.

1 comment:

ArmoredFoe said...

holy crap sir, that is awsome. I never even heard of that show. Sounds cool though. Great pics, I really like the transformation pic also.